top of page

Legal Affirmation

Legal forms of affirmation involve the non-medical/social options for changing one’s gender identity marker and legal name. Legal affirmation just means confirming who you are in systems, not creating who you are. You’re already valid in the name you use and the gender you are. Legal affirmation is not for everyone and can be time consuming, frustrating, and a financial burden to many Two-Spirit, trans, Indigiqueer, and gender-diverse (2STIGD) folks. In this section, we provide a step by step guide on how to legally change your name and gender marker. We also provide some information on your legal rights and where to go if you need support. 

Step by Step Guide

Name Change - Adults

Each individual will need to submit different documents to change their name depending on their age. The fee for this change is $115 to $175 depending on the documents needed. 


All ages must meet the following requirements: 

  • Have been a resident of New Brunswick (NB) for at least three months, or live with a parent/guardian who has been a resident of NB for at least three months if under 16 years of age

  • Those born in Canada must submit all original birth certificate(s), including a long form birth certificate if requesting a last name change, and any original documents if the name has already been changed. (For those born in NB, an additional fee can be added to the application to obtain NB birth certificates on your behalf.)

  • Canadian citizens born outside of Canada must submit a photocopy of both sides of their Canadian Citizenship card, a photocopy of their original birth certificate or of their certified copy of birth registration, and a photocopy of their current passport. 

  • Those who are a landed immigrant or permanent resident must submit a photocopy of their Canadian Record of Immigration Landing or a Confirmation of Permanent Resident document, a photocopy of both sides of their Permanent Resident card, a photocopy of their original birth certificate or of a certified copy of birth registration, and a photocopy of their current passport. 

Adults (age 16 or older) follow the following steps: 

  1. Complete the form Change of Name for Adults 

  2. Compile the necessary documents depending on where you were born 

  3. Submit the application to Service New Brunswick 

To view a visual guide on how to change your name or sex designation, please click here to access Chroma NB's Legal transition: a visual how-to guide to changing your legal name or sex designation in New Brunswick.

Imprint logo.png

Imprint Trans ID Clinic

In a trans-positive and inclusive space, the Imprint Trans ID Clinic provides clients with free legal information, form-filling services, and referrals. During the Clinic, trained law students from the University of New Brunswick Faculty of Law assist clients with their legal transition by explaining all necessary steps as per provincial laws and regulations. Lawyers from McInnes Cooper are on-hand to assist clients with complicating factors.

The Imprint Trans ID Clinic is a long-standing Pro Bono Students Canada ("PBSC") project facilitated by the University of New Brunswick Faculty of Law Chapter. PBSC works in partnership with pro bono lawyers and community organizations to provide free legal support for people and communities facing barriers to justice. As a national movement, PBSC is founded on dignity, equity, and humility. 


The Clinic serves all clients from New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia who wish to update their Birth Certificate, Driver's License, Medicare Card, SIN Number, Passport, and/or Newcomer documents​. 

Know Your Rights


JusticeTrans is an organization run by trans people for trans people and was founded on the belief that everyone, regardless of identity or lived experience, should have access to justice. They provide resources and programming related to Two-Spirit, trans, queer, and gender-diverse folks' access to justice.

The New Brunswick Human Rights Commission is the government agency responsible for the administration of the Human Rights Act. For more information, please see the NB Human Rights Commission's Guideline on Gender Identity or Expression.

bottom of page